Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving

My favorite holiday. My plan was to spend it by myself, in silence. I woke up early and meditated in my favorite "do nothing" place withthe sounds of the breeze and the bugs and the frogs and a little Balinese temple music in the background. I feel happy, peaceful and content. Then I checked my email and got a message from my friend Susan that a terrorist attack happened in Mumbai. A few minutes later my phone rang and Anne Marie was in tears, worried about me and the world. If I was at home I would probally be at her table for Thanksgiving. As soon as we hang up my sister Robin called. The silver lining...alone on Thanksgiving I feel the love and comfort of my friends from a million miles away. I have been carrying Eckhart Tolle's A New Earth, Awakening to your Life's Purpose around with me for months and decided to open to a message, page 224 " This, too, will pass". This was my message and so I let go of my fears and my idea of a day of silence and called a woman I met through a connection with Sherri Baptiste.

Ni Wayan Murni invited me to lunch at her stunning home about 15 miles outside of Ubud. Her driver picked me up at her resturant (Murni's Warung) and along with couple from Holland, we had a delightful day! Far from the noise and traffic of Ubud, Murni and her husband Jonathan have a beautiful home filled with antiques and collectables from around the world. The view is breath taking of the jungle and rice fields. The gardens are filled with statues, typical Bali structures, little bridges and an infinite pool. Yes, I considered extending my trip and staying, forever. But my VISA is running out so I enjoyed hours of great Indonisian food, conversation about world travels and then a tour of Murni's unbelievable personal collection from around the world. Textiles from Afganistan, puppits from Bali, jewelry, carvings, statues, masks. She could open a museum just from her personal collection. Check out www.murnis.com. Murni travels to San Francisco every year for the Arts of Pacific Asia Show at Fort Mason, Febuary 6-8. Anybody want to join me?

I spent the evening with Brian Johnson at the Yoga Barn. (BaliSpirit.com) Ever week he offers Philosophers Notes. An incredible evening of conversation about great books. Tonight was Rumi's Daylight. Tuesday we discussed Joseph Campbell. Big Ideas that help us on our heros journey-great quotes-something positive to think about. Brian offers a free subscription and as soon as I figure out how to pass it on I will! You can try philosophersnotes.com.

That is all for now. My travelers Thanksgiving was very special. I am grateful for this time away and that soon, I will return to my family and friends. Take a moment to listen to the wind or watch a butterfly and think about 5 things you are grateful for. Breathe...Peace...Breathe...Love, now smile:)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Randi - I'm delighted that you met my favorite person in the world.. Murni is a national treasure and should be President.

She's also taking part in the prestigious Tribal & Texttile Arts Show at Fort Mason the following week and I can't wait to go to both. As you say she has the best collection in Indonesia and very reasonable prices.

I've written a bit about her and the articles are on her web site.

Happy Thanksgiving and Happy Travels

John Braine