Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Obama wins!

I heard the news from my sister Robin on my Blackberry as the plane landed in Delhi. Three other America's were on board the small plane and we shared this world changing moment. Obama wins by a landslide and the world is dancing in the streets! I have been far away from any television or even newspapers and feel that I have missed a lot of the celebration and have enjoyed calls and emails from friends and family. My dear 8 year old friend Rowan called me and was excited about this change in the world. Thanks Rowan!

I spent the day before election high in the Himalayas with Mother Wangmo. We drove to the highest accessible spot, Rohtang Pass at about 14,000 feet and meditated and prayed for world peace and Obama's Presidency and our life goals, family and friends.


The cave where we meditated for Obama, family and friends

These beautiful mountains offer an amazing vibration and energy. Very healing and thought provoking. The road to the top is barely drivable although hundreds of other cars, buses and trucks all shared the road with us honking and passing as I tremble. The monsoons wipe out parts of the road every year and road crews are constantly fixing it. I can not describe the majestic beauty of this place and sharing it with Mother Wangmo was very special. She is a Hungarian woman who has dedicated her life to service. She has lived in India for over 25 years and currently has a hospital for women and children in a remote area between Kullu and Manili at about 6000 feet.

Mother Wongmo in front of her hospital

She is also launching the first school of nursing in the area to service the medical needs of these remote Himalayan CFHI is currently sponsoring 5 students from the Spiti village to attend nursing school in Delhi. I am so appreciative of the opportunity that Child Family Health International (CFHI) has given me. I have been exposed to schools for street kids, rehabilitation programs for women in crisis, revolutionary sanitation efforts and the amazing work of Mother Wangmo in the Himalayas.

My trip to the mountains also include a few days of hiking and rest at the beautiful Wildflower Hall in Shimla. My room had a fantastic view of the distant snow covered mountains. I hiked through a cedar sanctuary and learned of the many healing plants from my guide.

View of the mountains from the window of my room

Hiking with a guide is important because it is very easy to get lost. The day before I headed out alone and ended up crawling over rocks and almost stumbling into a yak! Saw lots of beautiful Kingfishers, a big bird with a very long tail, monkeys and chip monks. I hope to figure out how to post pictures soon. I have taken over 500 so far!

Today is my last day in India. I leave for Bali at midnight. I have had limited access to computers and am not very fast. My last post got dumped after an hour of hard typing.

This trip has been challenging, exciting, emotional and thought provoking. I am so grateful to Sherri Baptiste for inviting me to explore India with her. We shared so many experiences with the 17 travelers of the first part of this journey . Sherri did a similar journey with her parents in 1996 and offered us an opportunity of a lifetime. With India Supra of Featherpipe Foundation and Raj Madaan of Multivision travel, we experienced so much. From the Taj Mahal, Jaipur, Rishikish, Varanasi, Cochin and Kerila, every day was filled with yoga, meditation laughter and many meaningful experiences. I have only touched on a few highlights and hope to added to my story as I integrate all that I have experienced.

The most important news today-We have a new President!

1 comment: